The Best Greek Islands for Vacation
The Greek Islands are a real hot spot for world-class hotel resorts and luxury boutique hideaways. With travel bans lifted in Europe, Greece has come out on top as one of the best places to summer in.
I personally love Greece and have been consistently revisiting this country since my childhood. When I was 8, we rented a villa in Crete for 3 months and explored several Greek islands. Visiting Santorini, Mykonos, Ios, and many other islands. That trip was one of my favorites as a child. Even back then, I was a budding artist so inspired by the colors of the stunning sunsets we watched every evening that I would take my Caran d’Ache crayons and a blank page every night to recreate the skies mesmerizing shades of flaming red and orange turning to dark blue.
What’s more, when I was a teenager I spent several summers in Antiparos which is a tiny, yet charming Greek Island opposite Paros.
This year I went back to one of my favorite Greek islands, Mykonos, and also visited a new one that I had never been to before: Rhodes.
This Greek island is steeped in history, although there is a touch of luxury and glamour on the islands (we saw several mega yachts dotted along the coastline and a private jet landing as we headed to the airport). It is also so close to Turkey that many travelers hop on a boat after flying into Rhodes and head to hotspot destinations such as the Turkish Island, Bodrum for example.
Rhodes is known for its medieval architecture, wineries, and beaches. It was a key island in the ancient world and once was home to one of the Seven Wonders of the World: the Colossus of Rhodes. A huge bronze statue of the Greek sun god Helios that took 12 years to build. Rhodes was then one of the most important trading ports in the ancient Mediterranean and the statue stood at the entrance of their key port. There are also several historical elements worth visiting for history buffs including stunning Byzantine churches, hilltop castles, and faded frescos as well as many Roman ruins.
About Our Stay in Rhodes at the Lindian Village 5-Star Hotel Resort in Lindos, Rhodes
As the hotel we were staying at was located near Lindos, we opted to hire a car. This also allowed us to do excursions around the island during the day as well. There are options for private transfers as well as taxis on the island.
What was great about the Lindian Village 5-Star Hotel Resort is that it had a wide range of room categories – many of which are suites that have their own private pools. This said there was also two main pools for all guests and of course access to the sea too as the hotel sits on the coastline and has a private hotel beach. There is a multitude of activities available as well and the facilities include a full-sized tennis court, pool bar area with snacks and drinks available, and games areas with a pool table, ping-pong, and arcade games.
My favorite aspects of this 5-Star hotel were:
- The architecture of the hotel, especially the layout of the hotel pool area, which was truly unique
- The soothing surroundings with the crickets of the winding pebbled pathways
- The beautiful water features and floral decorations that were dotted around the hotel, each corner was unique
- The hotel’s cafe square area which had a lovely seating area
- The incredibly delicious Greek food at their rooftop restaurant
- The spacious rooms with private pools
- The beachfront
Greek Island Travel Guide by A Stylish Story
As mentioned before, there are so many Greek Islands that are worth visiting. So I made a breakdown of my favorite ones, according to the type of holiday you are after:
• Santorini: ideal for a romantic getaway
Santorini is a Greek island located in the Aegean Sea. It is known for its beautiful white cliffs, blue waters, and picturesque views. There are many things to do in Santorini including swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, and even windsurfing. If you want to relax, you can go sailing around the island or take a boat tour to some of the surrounding islands.
• Mykonos: the best for luxury lovers with a penchant for party life
Mykonos is a Greek island in the Aegean sea. It’s known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife.
• Milos: a picturesque oasis
• Naxos: the best island for sandy beaches and a relaxing getaway
• Ios: an excellent coming-of-age island to party and enjoy the balmy summer evenings
• Paros: the perfect destination for those who are looking for a new hotspot that is more relaxed than Mykonos
• Antiparos: A tiny, almost secret island tucked away with many charming aspects, my favorite being their open-air cinema
• Crete: is a wonderful island for archeology and adventures
Crete is the largest of the Greek Islands and is considered to have the best beaches. It’s known for its natural beauty and clear waters. There are many places to visit in Crete, including Lasithi Plateau, Rethymnon Old Town, Heraklion Old Town, Chania old port, Agia Triada Monastery, Knossos Palace, and much more.
• Rhodes: the best for those who are fans of the ancient world and for real culture bugs who love history
Rhodes is the third-largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and is the first European Union member state to join the EU. Rhodes is well-known for its medieval walled cities, monasteries, and castles.
• Kos: is perfect for those looking for the most dazzling beaches, culture with a hint of luxury
• Corfu: the dream destination for beach lovers
Corfu is the second largest of the Ionian Islands and is the only major island not under Turkish rule. It’s known for being the birthplace of the composer George Frideric Handel.
• Zante: a great island for families
So there you have it, the perfect Greek Island guide based on the type of traveling you enjoy most.
Stay tuned for more stylish guides and travels!
Leave a Reply