When it comes to fashion, there are certain pieces which remain fashion staples no matter what the season. These are the eight ultimate style staples everyone should own.
They are the foundation of your wardrobe. That streamlined selection of everyday items. The key basic pieces which can be combined endlessly and can be dressed up or down any look.
Classics, investment pieces, building blocks, call them what you will. Here are the eight ultimate pieces that every fashion lover should have in their capsule wardrobe:
Items: a tailored blazer, jeans, nude cashmere, white shirt, black booties, white sneakers, trench and LBD.
1. A tailored blazer. Well cut, black, beige, navy or grey. Adding a touch of elegance to your everyday, it works well for all occasions. It can be paired with a white shirt and jeans, just as it can be layered on top of a delicate, lace blouse. Obviously the most iconic of all jackets comes from the one and only YSL. As Yves Saint Laurent introduced blazers into women’s wardrobes in 1960s. Le Smoking was the first of its kind at the time. From Androgynes and minimal to the 80s power suit – I can honestly vouch for them having a couple vintage ones which are still to this day absolutely amazing and cut perfectly. These tailored glories have since become sartorial key pieces. Although, if your looking for an impeccably cut, everyday blazer, I highly recommend looking at The Kooples.
2. The perfect pair of jeans. My personal favourite are Levi’s. I have them in every shade of denim you can think of. If you’re looking for something a bit more edgy, I also highly recommend J Brand’s denim range. Opt for a pair of black coated skinny jeans or an acid wash if you want to add a stylish twist your everyday wardrobe. Personally, I find it’s all about the cut. I am a huge fan of high-waisted skinny jeans.
3. A classic cashmere in nude. Hawick is my go-to, having lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and owning them my survival of the bitter cold Scottish winters. A soft, cable knit in oatmeal was in fact the first thing I purchased when I arrived as a student. Eric Bonpard also have an unreal selection of cashmere in every cut and colour your could dream of! Another more recent discovery is the cashmere brand Not Shy if you want a cool twist on your everyday knits. They also did a campaign with one of my favorite, Swedish influencers pernilleteisbaek recently.
4. A simple, white shirt. From the ever trustworthy Zara to Ralph Lauren, you can get endless variations of these beauties. Sheer, silk or lined with lace – it’s all about the details! I like to layer a white button shirt under a dress or a sweater to add some dimension to an outfit.
5. Black boots. These are a basic must have for your everyday wardrobe. There’s a reason every off-duty model rocks a pair of these. Balenciaga, Givenchy or Chloé – they are a cool-girl essential. I love Santoni for boot heeled options (so comfortable and the quality is unbelievable). For a more casual look, I opt for my Rag & Bone ones I received whilst interning their at Paris Fashion Week. They are sturdy and I like to combine them with floral dresses for example add a little edge to an otherwise very feminine look.
6. A pair of white sneakers. From Superga to Stan Smith’s to Gucci’s Ace sneakers to Alexander McQueen’s Runway sneakers. Everyone wants a pair of these fashion staples. What is more designers are focusing more on sneakers than it-bags these days. Sneakers are officially the cool cat piece that every girl should own. White is of course a nice way to brighten up any look. Injecting a pop of preppy, sporty-chic to your outfit.
7. A Trench coat. Ideally from Burberry in honey or in navy. It’s become iconic thanks to Hollywood’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Elegant and effortless, this is a mid-season classic that shall never go out of style.
8. The LBD. The little black dress. This has got to be the piece I own the most variations of in my closet if truth be told. A universally flattering piece that I always make a point of adding to my suitcase wherever I go. My favorites for daytime are a classic A-line one from Ganni and an elegant Sandro with fun shoulder-pads. In the evening I usually opt for a black blazer dress which I accessorize with a fun brooch or a pair of big statement earrings.
There you have it. The eight essential touchstones of any wardrobe. Elevated basics that can be styled to suit your style. Essential classic closets pieces that will stand the test of time. In fact, the term “Capsule wardrobe” was coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called “Wardrobe” in the 1970s. It stemmed from the concept of having a permanent collection that can be worn all year round. A sustainable and chic way to stay stylish.
So what are your wardrobe staples? What do you reach for time and time again?
Leave a Reply